Davos + Rickon's Adventure?

Seaworth'sShipmate

Unlikely. GRRM is a stone cold asshole, but he seems to have a soft spot for kids (those who appear in the books anyway.)

He is also fond of Stark kids, and probably won't have one die off screeen. I even think he likes Davos, IMO one of the least repellent characters in the series.

I would be amazed if Davos survives his journey though

Yes, GRRM was very fond of Robb Stark too I'am sure.

That's if the Skagosi themselves don't eat him first.  They are said to feast on human flesh.  Davos is old and his meat isn't sirloin but if they're starving he's likely dinner.

They gonna make some liver and onions! Shame Strong Belwas isn't there to enjoy it

Except Rickon's story hasn't been super long and drawn out because where he is with no pov's, so that doesn't make sense

And Rickon has already shown extreme potential. To dismiss that would be like dismissing the possibility that Jon is the son of Rheagar. 

And i'm pretty sure George has already established a hate of fantasy tropes otherwise Ned would have lived and Robb would've won.

It doesn't have to be super long and drawn out or be told from Rickon's POV to count as a Shaggy Dog story. If Davos goes on this detour, spends several chapters there, and ultimately nothing happens, that's a Shaggy Dog story.

That doesn't mean anything. Robb had potential and look what happened.

I might be wrong, but I don't think the Shaggy Dog story is a fantasy trope by itself.

These really aren't the words I would choose to describe GRRM's writing.

Nor would I either...

A side note: During Davos' voyage to white Harbor one os Saan's ships crashes on the shores of skagos. I wonder if one the crew members survived and encountered the Skaggs. This could influence the relations between Davos and the skagosi. Chances are minimal though.

All this talk of eating children's & senior citizen's flesh is bringing me down.   Why can't it be that Davos is successful in finding and extracting Rickon?   I think it matters where Davos takes him, too.   I mean there aren't a whole lot of places Davos can go in frozen waters on a Manderly boat are there?    If Davos heads back to White Harbor--what?  Eastwatch--what?  (Well, I suppose that is the most immediate place he could go).   Jon's dead or something so what good is going to Jon or Castle Black?  It's not likely Davos will park somewhere obscure and shuffle off to find Stannis and I doubt he will leave the child anywhere near Mel.  Probably they'll be thrown off course by some freak storm and end up farther south than intended.    The point is Davos has to do something with Rickon & Co when he finds him.  What's he supposed to do?  

It doesn't have to be super long and drawn out or be told from Rickon's POV to count as a Shaggy Dog story. If Davos goes on this detour, spends several chapters there, and ultimately nothing happens, that's a Shaggy Dog story.

I might be wrong, but I don't think the Shaggy Dog story is a fantasy trope by itself.

Except that it does, a shaggy-dog story has to be long and drawn out it's in the definition.

A shaggy-dog story is a Trope of fantasy(though not commonly used) that's why people use it as a source of proof that Rickon will do Nothing.

Archived